2021 Virtual Season Subscription
July 31, 2021 @ 7:00PM — August 8, 2021 @ 7:00PM Pacific Time (US & Canada)
Support the Festival, gain special access and perks!
- Invitation to join a live online season preview event.
- Access to observe four real-time online Conductors Workshop coaching sessions.
- A printed copy of our 2021 Program Guide, mailed to your home. (Otherwise only available digitally.)
Virtual Season Overview:
July 20 - Pre-Season Preview
- 7pm: Pre-season preview with Executive Director Ellen Primack and Principal Flute Tim Munro: Subscribers are invited to a private Zoom event and season overview with special guest Tim Munro, a brilliant performer, writer, broadcaster, and teacher. Missed the event? Not to worry! It was recorded and shared with Subscribers. You'll receive a link by email after your complete your purchase.
July 25 - Donors Concert
- Donors Concert with cellist Kathleen Balfe: Festival Orchestra cellist Kathleen Balfe performs a concert live and in-person in Santa Cruz County for donors of $300 or more (above $100 Subscription). Limited to two guests per household, and limited to venue capacity, first come, first-served. Covid protocols will be observed, and a streaming option available for those who cannot attend in person. UPDATE: This event has passed, but a recording will be made available to eligible donors. Note: this event is not part of the Subscription package, so please add a donation to your Subscription today, if you aren't already a donor at that level!
July 24-27 - Conductors Workshop Sessions
- July 24-26 1pm, July 27 2:30pm: Conductors Workshop Sessions accessible only to workshop participants and Subscribers as observers. Note: These sessions have passed, and no recording is available as they were live-streamed.
July 31 - OPENING NIGHT
- 7pm: Gabriela Lena Frank’s Contested Eden addresses the 2020 California wildfires. This dance video was filmed in natural environments in Santa Cruz devastated by the recent wildfires, with choreography for five dancers by Santa Cruz-based choreographer/dancer Molly Katzman. Live Artists Talk and Q&A follows.
August 1 - Emerging Composers
- 11am: Santa Cruz County Youth Symphony in two world premiere commissions: one for remotely recorded youth orchestra by Danny Clay; and Elias Gilbert’s work for Fourtés Violin Quartet, of the SCCYS Chamber Music Academy.
- 7pm: “In the Works” premieres six solo works and three duets written for members of the Festival Orchestra by 2021 Composers Workshop composers Theo Chandler, Meng Wang, and Jeremy Rapaport-Stein. Live Artists Talk and Q&A follows.
August 7 - Intonations
- 11am: Composer Jake Heggie moderates a discussion with librettist Gene Scheer, author James Grymes, and mezzo-soprano Sasha Cooke, on the creation of INTONATIONS: Songs from the Violins of Hope; violinist Cookie Segelstein introduces the program with a brief presentation on the history of Jewish musical life.
- 7pm: Jake Heggie and Gene Scheer’s INTONATIONS: Songs from the Violins of Hope—commemorating the 75th anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz. The 45-minute film directed by Elena Park features mezzo-soprano Sasha Cooke, violinist Benjamin Beilman, and the St. Lawrence String Quartet performing the chamber version of the work, interwoven with portions of the orchestral version, recorded remotely by the Festival Orchestra. Live Artists Talk and Q&A follows.
August 8 - Melt+Sprout
- 11am: National Geographic photographer Camille Seaman interviewed about her work as witness to the melting glaciers and impacts of the climate crisis.
- 7pm: Sean Shepherd’s Melt, a musical lament on climate change and the disappearance of the world’s glaciers, is set to images and video by renowned nature photographer Camille Seaman. Melt is paired with Sprout, Shepherd’s newly commissioned sequel, inspired by the resilience of the forest after wildfire, and presented in two versions: one for the Virtual Cabrillo Festival Orchestra, and an animated version realized by David Murakami. Live Artists Talk and Q&A follows.
Wondering how your Virtual Season subscription will work? After you complete your subscription purchase, you will be added to our special Subscriber list, and will receive regular emails with event links and your printed Program Guide in mid July. If you have any questions, please contact us at any time!